Jeffrey Miller, Ph.D., C.E.C., C.C.E.
Associate Professor and Program Coordinator
214-C Gifford Building | (970) 491-6705 | email@example.com
- Food and Culture Issues
- Food as Symbol
- Small Town Tourism
- Traditional Food Production and Preservation Methods
- PhD, Education and Human Resource Studies, Colorado State University, 2006
- BGS, History, University of Kansas, 1983
- AOS, Culinary Arts, New England Culinary Institute, 1988
- MS, Hotel, Restaurant and Institution Management, Kansas State University, 1995
February 2006 to current
Assistant Professor, Dept. of Food Science and Human Nutrition Program Coordinator - Restaurant & Resort Management Program
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO
(appointed as Program Coordinator, July 1, 2006)
August 2000 to Jan 2006
Instructor, Dept. of Food Science and Human Nutrition Restaurant and Resort Management Program
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO
Teach classes in culinary arts, catering, purchasing, beverage management, food studies and purchasing. Teach senior seminar. Advise students. Supervise interns. Direct independent study projects for graduate students and undergraduate students. Conduct research. Participate in university outreach, research, and distance learning projects. Lead role in department annual fund-raising dinner. Serve on graduate committees. Member various campus committees including student center food court renovation. Helped develop student run restaurant, Aspen Grill. Supervise students in Aspen Grill.
January 1996 to July 2000
Director, Culinary Arts/Foodservice Management Program
Assistant Professor, Dept. of Nutrition and Food Science
Utah State University
Lead program in Culinary Arts/Foodservice Management. Supervise adjunct teaching staff. Teach classes in culinary arts, foodservice management, and beverage management. Advise students enrolled in culinary arts/foodservice management curriculum. Ongoing culinary arts/foodservice management curriculum development. Participate in university outreach, research, and distance learning projects. Create and participate in seminars and other educational outreach programs regarding culinary arts/foodservice management programs. Supervise student interns in culinary arts/foodservice management curriculum.
January 1994 to December 1995
Graduate Teaching Assistant Departments of Housing and Dining Services and Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Management
Kansas State University
Assist the Unit Dietitian in planning, organizing, and directing activities of the unit. Delegate responsibilities to production, cafeteria, and sanitation supervisors. Direct receiving, storing, and production of food. Requisition of food and supplies. Supervise personnel in production of food and distribution of food for service. Supervise students in quantity food production class laboratories.
January 1989 to December 1993
Executive Chef C.F.K., Inc.
Fifi's Restaurant, The American Bistro, The Banquet Connection
Responsible for kitchen service and production at all operations of C.F.K., Inc. Plan, organize, and manage production of a la carte dining, banquets, and catering at all locations. Supervise kitchen and sanitation staffs of 20+ employees. Order and receive all food, paper supplies, and beverage supplies. Train employees in production procedure, safety and sanitation. Develop and plan daily specials and menu items. Responsible for annual procurement budget of over $400,000.
June 1986 to November 1988
Assistant Chef Carroll's Creek Cafe
Day kitchen supervisor with special responsibilities for pastry and baking. Supervise 12-17 employees in prep, line cooking, receiving, and sanitation. Produce all baked goods and pastries. Organize all daily production, purchase produce and baking supplies. Plan daily menu specials. Train employees in production, sanitation, and safety. Responsible for monthly inventory of all foodstuffs and dry goods. In-house liaison and production supervisor for affiliated business, Capitol Catering Co.
1975 to 1986
- Continuously employed in foodservice profession at various levels and duties. Specifics upon request
Honors and Awards:
- CAFÉ/Kendall College Green Award – 2011, Center for the Advancement of Foodservice Education (Award given to one undergraduate program annually that demonstrates commitment to environmental and sustainability issues in their curriculum.)
- Certified Executive Chef, American Culinary Federation, since 1998
- Certified Culinary Educator, American Culinary Federation, since 1999
- Henley, T., Reddivari, L, Broeckling, C., Bunning, M., Miller, J., Avens, J., Stone, M., Prenni, J., Vanamala, J. (2014). American India Pale Ales (IPA) matrix rich in xanthohumol are potent in suppressing proliferation and elevating apoptosis of human colon cancer cells but not isolated xanthohumol.
- Lothrop, R., Stone, M., Avens, J., Hyatt, D., Miller, J, Bunning, M. (2013). Physicochemical and Sensory Quality of Chiffon Cake Prepared with Rebaudioside-A and Erythritol as Replacement for Sucrose. Annual Meeting of the Institute of Food Technologists, July 13-16, Chicago, IL Abstract No. 163-28.
- Miller, J., Milholland, E. and Martin-Gould, S. (2011). Determining Student Attitudes Toward Using a Classroom Response System in Hospitality Courses. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Education.
- Miller, Jeff and Deutsch, Jonathon. (2010). Food Studies: An Introduction to Research Methods. London: Berg Publishers. Hardcover – ISBN 978-1845206802, Softcover – ISBN 978-1845206819
- Deutsch, J. and Miller, J., (2011) Where’s the Beef? Food in the Food History Classroom. In: Pilcher, J, (Ed.), The Handbook of Food History. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Miller, J. The New England Culinary Institute. (2011) In: Smith, A. Ed. The Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Miller, J. (2011) The New England Culinary Institute. In: Smith, A. Ed. The Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Miller, J. (2011) Restaurant Groups. In: Smith, A. Ed. The Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Miller, J. (2011) Library Collections. In: Smith, A. Ed. The Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America. New York: Oxford University Press. (includes a separate annotated bibliography of culinary collections in America)
- CSU Office of Student Learning and Civic Engagement $900 - funding for student service learning project within RRM program