Bill Franz, Ph.D., P.H.R.
214 D Gifford Building | (970) 491-3890 | email@example.com
- Management and Employee Training, Results and Turnover
- Managing "Generation Y"
- Organizational Learning, Performance and Change
- Strategic HRD
- Adult Learning and Assessment
- Doctor of Philosophy, School of Education, Colorado State University, Education and Human Resource Studies/HRD
- Master of Business Administration, College of Business, University of South Dakota
- Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, Black Hills State University
2000 to Present Adjunct Faculty
Front Range Community College, Larimer Campus, Fort Collins, CO
- Teach undergraduate courses in Business, Business Management, Human Resource Management, Business Communication, Supervision, and Hospitality Management in classrooms utilizing Smart Boards and online utilizing WebCT 4.1.
- Teach Management and Business courses for FRCC's Institute of Community and Professional Development.
- Develop in-class and online curricula and web site design. Facilitate group in-class and off-site projects, and grade assignments.
- Conducted research and analysis to support grant funding for the development and implementation of an assessment of learning plan for the Management Program.
- Participated on selection committee for the Coordinator of Student Success in on-line learning.
- Mentor adjunct faculty in use of WebCT.
- Conduct WebCT orientations for new students.
Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
- Taught graduate courses in the Organizational Performance and Change (OPC) Program within the School of Education.
- Teach undergraduate courses in Restaurant and Resort Management within the School of Food Science and Human Nutrition.
- Conduct graduate challenge courses in FSHN.
- Develop in-class and online curricula using Blackboard CE Developed advanced web sites.
- Instruct students, facilitated group, in-class and on-line discussions. Facilitated off-site projects, and graded assignments.
- Mentor faculty in use of Blackboard CE.
- Instruct and operate Aspen Grille Restaurant
- IT advisory committee member
- Key advisor for program
- Act as liaison between RRM program and industry representatives.
2001 to 2002 Independent Management Recruiter and Consultant
- Sourced, interviewed, coached and prepared management candidates for interviews with client companies in the hospitality industry. Matched company profiles with candidates' competencies, assisted with interview coordination, travel and relocation plans.
- Consulted with client companies on training, human resource, and other management-related issues.
2000 to 2001 Freelance Writer
Pencom International, Denver, Colorado
- Wrote books and newsletters for distribution to the world wide hospitality industry. Subjects centered on leadership, staffing, training, planning and organizing.
1998 to 2000 Vice President, Training and Development and Manager of Human Resources
Vice President of Training and Development - Pencom International, Denver, Colorado
- Reported directly to the owner.
- Developed content, designed, and presented interactive workshops to industry managers/owners from North America and Europe utilizing adult learning principles in team settings.
- Consulted on all client training and marketing projects.
- Acted as operational and technical consultant to writers, editors, producers, and directors.
- Wrote monthly newsletters and restaurant-operations management books.
Human Resource Manager - Pencom International, Denver, Colorado
- Reported directly to the owner.
- Established the human resource departmental systems and programs.
- Recruited, interviewed and hired professional staff.
- Designed job descriptions, employee handbook and orientation program.
- Managed workman's comp, unemployment, dental, LTD, and HMO activities.
- Researched and designed compensation plans.
- Designed, coached, and implemented performance program.
1984 to 1997
Manager/General Manager/Regional Manager of Training and Development
Metromedia Restaurant Group, Steak and Ale / Bennigans Restaurants, Dallas, TX
1987 to 1991 and 1995 to 1997
Regional Manager of Training and Development
- Reported to Concept Manger of Training and Development and served as liaison and internal consultant between corporate office and field operations concerning management, human resource, training and development, research and development, technology, purchasing, and marketing objectives.
- Participated in climate assessments and acted as a change agent during
- Organizational, operational, cultural, product and service, and technological change initiatives at a national level. Coordinated corporate change initiatives with regional operations.
- Created, developed and implemented front-line and middle management, and hourly-employee training programs.
- Supervised management and employee training programs on a regional level, and conducted regional management conferences.
- Facilitated team development during bi-monthly, corporate leadership conferences.
- Monitored purveyor relationships regarding pricing and product specifications. Negotiated, audited, and reconciled purchasing contracts.
1991 to 1995 and 1983 to 1987
Senior Manager/General Manager
- Managed and reconciled profit and loss results.
- Planned, organized, directed, coordinated and budgeted operational activities.
- Managed human resources and training and development functions in restaurants with 50 to 100 hourly employees and up to five subordinate managers in restaurants generating $1.75 to $2.5 million in annual sales.
- Established and managed Houston area, management-training restaurant.
- Acted as a turn-around and change agent at the unit level.
Steak and Ale Restaurant Group employed approximately 8,500 hourly employees and managers in 180 restaurants covering 37 states.
Honors and Awards:
- Leadership Initiative Award for Excellence and Innovation in Teaching 2013
- Nominated Best Teacher, Colorado State University, Spring 2008
- Nominated Best On-Line Instructor, Front range Community College, Spring 2008
- Human Resource Awards for Outstanding Employee Development, Metromedia Restaurant Group
- Leadership Development Awards, Metromedia Restaurant Group
- Northern Colorado Human Resource Association Scholarship Recipient (PhD)
- Advisory Council, Poudre High School, Fort Collins, Colorado
- Advisory Committee, Front range Community College